host-identifier with IPv6

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Tue Mar 3 19:18:51 UTC 2009

The ISC server is not the only dhcp solution in the wild and Educational and Corporates are not the only organisations trying to get IPv6 rolled out.  But I think that there are enough of the later that use the former ( not a majority in Ted's terms  maybe ) who have similar requirements to show the RFCs are broken ( for us anyway ) and a solution based on MAC address would go most of the way to creating a fix.

David,  you have presented several alternatives from which a/the MAC address of a client may be extracted. I can't comment on which is going to be the easiest to implement.

Please pick the best one, from the implementation perspective and give it a go.  I am sure you will find some willing testers on this list, myself included that can provide feedback on the result.