failover with active / standby configuration

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Mar 3 19:33:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:30:58PM +1100, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> Flipping the default will probably just make the other 50% of users
> unhappy :)

Yeah, that's usually what keeps me from doing it.

It's a real hairball.  I'm not sure defaulting to not-authoritative
really helps with the original intent, since the server will still
offer leases.  Now you've got a rogue server that is slightly more
stealthy, clients pretend to work, but they don't really - they
get the rogue configuration and addresses.

I think it's better to just fail hard, get noticed, and get fixed.

Everyone who really runs a DHCP server has to remember to add this
into their config file, so we have to document that as the install
method anyway, and everyone winds up setting it anyway (even the bogus
rogue servers).

Add to this that if you typo authoritative, like so;

	authoritive;

The parser doesn't complain.  The expression is parsed as a useless
executable expression (the evaluation of a binding scope's value).

It's just a mess.