host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed Mar 4 00:52:14 UTC 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 4:04 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> That would be interesting to know ! Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical at
> times, but I don't hold much hope that certain big vendors are
> listening. My cynicism comes partly from working in a "Windows shop"
> and getting to quietly observe how some of it works (or doesn't!) -
> slowly plugging away to bring enlightenment to the rest of the team
> ;-)

Believe it or not, the vendors really do listen, including
Microsoft.   I know the DHCP guys at Microsoft (or at least
historically I have - they do move up in the hierarchy from time to
time).   They are good guys, and they want to make your life better.
But you have to reach out to them - they aren't going to poll you, and
there is no formal channel to them for small customers, so you have to
be creative.   We have customers (I can't name names) who are *very*
proactive in their conversations with their suppliers even of things
like printers, and because they are so proactive, they do get
results.   Indeed, your life is probably easier as a result of their
efforts.

There is a large contingent from Microsoft at every IETF.   And people
in your position are very welcome at IETF.   You shouldn't expect to
get your way all the time, but your participation would not be looked
upon as a waste of our time.

> only to be told by the local "well
> if I were you, I wouldn't start from here" !

The way I heard it was "yuh cain't git theah from heah."   Of course,
I grew up in that town... :')