host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed Mar 4 02:34:53 UTC 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:30 PM, Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Primarily because you don't know which one will get reported.  If I
> have a
> wired and a wireless adapter, how do I know which one I should
> register?  And
> if I wipe the system and put a new OS image on it, will it pick the
> same
> adapter as the previous one?

Right, so if you put an entry in the database from each Mac address to
that machine, then whichever one the client uses will be in the
database, and will definitively identify the machine.   So it doesn't
matter which one the client chooses, and it doesn't matter if it
chooses a different one the next time you install, because you're
prepared for it to choose either one.   And indeed I don't see any
other way to architect the database, unless you currently treat a
single multihomed machine as two machines.