host-identifier with IPv6

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 10:00:44 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:

>Actually, I did cover that.   If you are tracking the Mac address,
>and the DUID contains the Mac address, then you need one exception
>policy.   If you are getting the Mac address directly, you need a
>different exception policy.   But in either case, you need an
>exception policy.

>Your life is, however, definitely easier if you track the DUID than
>if you track the Mac address.

That is what people on the ground are disputing !

You have a blank box, it has no DUID - none currently exists for the
device (unless it's using DUID-EE). So you have to track it by
something that DOES exist and at the moment the ONLY identify that
every (ethernet) device carries is one (or more) MAC address.

When a device appears with an unknown GUID you then have to extract
the MAC, match the MAC to a (hopefully) known device, and then add
the tracking for the GUID to the tracking system.

When a device boots a different OS - PXE, Windows, Linux, Something
else - then it appears with a different GUID and the process has to
be repeated.

It would appear to be even messier if an interface is moved between
machines. Not only do you have to manually update the MAC-Device
mapping database, you have to make sure that under no circumstances
will your systems ever use the MAC derived from a GUID other than for
the initial matching of an unknown GUID.

And here is a corner case for you - what about a device configured
and generating a GUID using a MAC it no longer carries (eg the USB
ethernet adapter previously mentioned) AND which you haven't seen on
your network before ? The MAC address either isn't in your database,
or even worse may be in the database assigned to another device. When
you try and match the GUID to the device, it will match the wrong
device and potentially get configured with the wrong setup.

So :
MAC address - static, known, globally unique*, limited number of
values (one per NIC)
DUID - changeable (every time an OS gets re-installed), unknown,
globally unique**, unlimited number of values per device

* OK, so some people have messed up - that affects much more than DHCP !
** You rely on 'time' to make DUID-LLT unique if NICs get moved.
--
Simon Hobson