host-identifier with IPv6

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 4 18:56:30 UTC 2009

> If you are registering Mac addresses, you could just as easily
> register DUIDs.

But that doesn't address the fundamental issue, from my perspective.  The DUID isn't known in advance.  So one cannot pre-register it as we do with MAC addresses. And, as has already been stated a number of times, MAC addresses are stable and do not change (very often, if at all) and in the cases when they do, there is always other activity associated with the change i.e. the computer is in the workshop with its guts hanging out or the Desktop consultant has the USB NIC in his pocket and knows further config activity will be required to get the system he/she was working on back into the fold.