host-identifier with IPv6

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 4 19:29:51 UTC 2009

> Here are the tools available to you:
>
> 1. you can scan Mac addresses off of machines as they arrive on the
> shipping dock and keep them in a database
> 2. you can look in your ND tables to map Mac addresses to IP
> addresses, and then map the IP address back to the DUID
> 3. you can pick apart the DUID and that may give you a Mac address
> 4. you can have users register their machines
> 5. you can begin the lengthy process of changing the protocol, which
> may pay dividends inside a decade if you are lucky.
>
> Now, given this set of tools that's available to you, can you cobble
> together a solution using choices 1 through 4 together?   Or is
> waiting a decade for your protocol mod to happen really your best
> choice?

I am currently advocating for a combination of
1. We already do that so have the data
2. Possibly not as the device must already been booted on the net using IPv6, but still a means to handle exceptions.
3. Needs changes to ISC DHCPD, which is sort of where this whole conversation started. ( but my preference ).
4. Same as 2.
5. Not a hope and I am not going to wait for it.