host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Wed Mar 4 20:44:35 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Frank Sweetser wrote:
>> Because one of the ways would likely be a fairly gross hack that,
>> while
>> greatly appreciated by the user community, causes some relatively
>> ugly code in
>> the server, and also may not work for less common server platforms
>> or media
>> types other than ethernet.
>
> Maybe you should try the "hack" before you assume that it has to be
> that ugly.

I'm basing that description of off the opinion David has already expressed (an
opinion which I happen to share).

>> Putting it into the design, on the other hand, would allow it to
>> reliably work
>> on any supported platform, and on any future media types as well as
>> any media
>> type on which DHCP works.
>
> No, it will never be reliable, because it will never have 100%
> adoption, because it's optional.   So you will not be able to take out
> the "hack."   You just won't have to use it as often.   Assuming that
> the "fix" gets widespread adoption, which is by no means guaranteed.

True, but then it's either a) present and functional, or b) explicitly absent,
as opposed to "should work, except when it doesn't".  Us administrators like
predictability =)

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken