DHCP 4.1.0 - need to log far more information

Jessica Meyer jessmeyer82 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 07:37:40 UTC 2009

Hi there

We have DHCP v 4.1.0 running with several subnets.

I need to log DHCPACK messages with all options sent by the client -
i.e. if the DHCP server sends out an option 67 (bootfile name), I want
this get logged to a file, or database.

What I get in the normal DHCP log is the following:

Mar 10 15:05:22 caps dhcpd: DHCPACK on 172.27.0.11 to
00:e0:6f:a7:45:7e via 172.27.0.1

This information is needed, although I need much more information
(specifically, but not limited to, option 67). I was researching a lot
on this but didn't came to a solution. My other idea would be to sniff
DHCP traffic via tcpdump and then pick out the information I need, but
that's an ugly solution.

Any help is highly appreciated
Jess