Running new dhcpd instance on same physical interface

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 19:35:17 UTC 2009

Dario Aguilar wrote:

>Hi there, I trying to run a new instance of
>dhcpd on the same physical interface but with a
>different IP Address (on the same subnet/vlan,
>Eg.: 1st instance IP = 192.168.0.1/24 and 2nd
>instance IP= 192.168.0.2/24) and with a new
>sub-interface. Of course I´ve change conf.
>files, pid-file name, leases DB, etc...

Simple - you can't. It is physically impossible to do.

The reason is that the server needs to work with
broadcast traffic, and by definition, broadcast
traffic does not 'belong' to any IP subnet, and
so cannot be "associated" with any particular
interface/sub-interface.

In general, there is no reason to need to run two
servers - you can normally achieve most things
with one. Perhaps if you explained what you want
to achieve then we could make suggestions.
--
Simon Hobson