Running new dhcpd instance on same physical interface

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Mar 12 13:29:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:15:34AM -0200, Dario Aguilar wrote:
> Hi, I understand your point. Our idea is to isolate different kind of
> services/clients such as DSL, Wimax, IPTv, etc.. into different instances of
> dhcpd, we have many reason to do this (with just 1 box): Eg.
> Troubleshooting, availability, separate same subnets on diff. instances,
> etc... In fact none of this CPE´s are directly connected to the dhcp server
> (I mean on the same broadcast domain) so, the server will never receive any
> broadcast packets. Instead of that it will receive forwarded packets from
> several DHCP Relay´s (unicast traffic) for each service such as DSLAM´s,
> WAC´s, etc..

I haven't heard of anyone who really does this kind of separation of
DHCP service on the same OS installation in practice.  A single dhcp
server handles multiple subnets very well.  If you are worried about
availability, run more than one (hardware) server and have them back
each other up.

> I will appreciate very much if you have a better idea or another suggestion
> on how to resolve this without adding another physical interface that in
> fact it will be connected to the subnet that the other one.

You could use virtualization (Xen, KVM, VMWare, etc.) to run multiple
guest operating systems, each with their own instance of dhcpd.