ISC dhcpd failover question

Matt Causey matt.causey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 23:57:46 UTC 2009

Hello!

I have a question regarding failover in dhcpd.  Running 3.1.1 on rhel3
linux.  I've been staring at the documentation for awhile - and I'm
just not seeing the answer.

We have a fleet of remote sites.  Each site looks like this in terms of dhcpd:

server A(primary) and server B(secondary)

Say server B drops off the face of the planet.  Server A continues
handing out addresses in 'communications-interrupted' mode.  But
eventually it exhausts it's leases - and starts spewing "peer holds
all free leases".

So, is there anything in there that causes the primary to give up on
the secondary eventually - and start pillaging its leases?  Or do I
need to handle that condition with some external logic?

Thanks,

--
Matt