What does 'add "classname"' really do?

Goesta Smekal goesta at smekal.at
Mon Mar 16 22:49:49 UTC 2009

Dear list,

  after fumbling around for a while, trying to group certain hosts on a
subnet into classes I reached the following conclusions:

*) assigning hosts to ranges, groups or pools without using the
"fixed-address" statement only works using classes.

*) I can assign a host to a class using something like:
- ---8<---
class "mammals" {
  match hardware;
}

group {
  host gnu {
    hardware ethernet 00:50:56:00:00:01;
    subclass "mammals" 1:00:50:56:00:00:01;

pool {
  allow members of "mammals";
  ignore unknown-clients;
  range 192.168.80.100 192.168.80.199;
}
- --->8---
Which is ugly, because I need to include the MAC twice.

*) there is a 'add "<classname>";' statement, which can be used within a
host declaration, but I can't find its use documented anywhere.

All I want is a way of assignung hosts to a certain address range,
including some common parameters without having to manually assign IP
addresses.

A line like:
host tux { hardware ethernet 00:50:56:00:00:02; add "birds"; }
should be sufficient. Yes, I know, the example above is syntactically
correct, nevertheless it doesn't work out like I expected.

Any ideas? Is the "add" statement documented anywhere outside the source?

Ah, and by the way, I'm using dhcpd 3.0.6 on Ubuntu Hardy and also tried
with 3.0.4 on Debian Etch.

  regards,

  Goesta

- --
#!/usr/bin/perl
foreach $c (split(/ /,"47 6f 65 73 74 61 20 53 6d 65 6b 61 6c 0d 0a")) {
print pack("C", hex($c));}