use og ping-check

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 10:50:51 UTC 2009

LOGANATHAN GOPINATH-XNT436 wrote:

>                 I would like to know what is the significance of
>ping-check in dhcpd.conf
>what would be the impact if if disable it on a production network .

It's there as a safety net - the idea being to check that there isn't
another device using the address before offering it. Given the number
of systems that now default to ignoring ping requests, it's of
limited value. Turning it off shouldn't have any significant impact,
but you may have a slightly higher chance of an address clash if
someone configures a device in your dynamic range.

--
Simon Hobson