use og ping-check

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 13:25:13 UTC 2009

Staffan.Ungsgard wrote:
>Does the ISC Dhcp server Windows Vista work together regarding to "ping" ?
>
>This is a snippet from Microsoft regarding Windows Vista and ping:
>
>"After you assign or change an IP address on a Windows Vista-based
>computer, the system searches the network for a computer that is
>already using this IP address. If the search reveals no computer
>that is already using this IP address, the IP address is officially
>assigned to the Windows Vista-based computer. The problem that is
>described in the "Symptoms" section occurs if another computer sends
>a ping message to the new IP address before the system finishes the
>search process. The system was not designed to be pinged while it is
>searching for a new IP address. "
>
>Full info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948363
>
>Can the DHCP-server ping makes Vista nack the lease because it
>thinks someone else has the address ?

I'm not sure. As I understand it, Vista has a problem if it gets a
ping just after it gets the address via DHCP. The ISC does the ping
before making an offer. I would expect the ping to arrive before the
offer, and so it shouldn't be triggered.

I have to say though, it never ceases to amaze at how imaginative
people can be when creating bugs !

--
Simon Hobson