4.1.0 does not receive requests while balancing pool

Luk Claes luk.claes at ugent.be
Mon Mar 30 15:16:11 UTC 2009

Hi

We upgraded to the latest dhcp version (4.1.0) as failover was not
working correctly as far as we could see in 3.x versions. Now failover
is working correctly, but the dhcp server seems to lock all pools when
balancing pools with its peer (by default every minute). As this
balancing takes about 10 seconds in our setup and we get about 20
requests per second. This is not tolerable in our setup, so I changed
it to only balance the pools every 10 t0 20 minutes which makes it
almost bearable. Though the fundamental problem is not solved.

Is this a known problem? If it's indeed a global lock on the pools,
could it be changed to local locks per pool or having the balancing
only happen per pool instead of all at once?

Cheers

Luk