IPv6 router advertisement

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Wed May 6 19:34:07 UTC 2009

* On 06.05.2009 20:27, Ted Lemon wrote:
> So what are the sysctl settings for net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra = 1

> and net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra_defrtr?
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra_defrtr = 1

> And what about for the same variables that are specific to the interface?
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra = 1
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.accept_ra_defrtr = 1

> Do you get a default route if you plug the same machine into a /64
> network with the same RA settings?
I've just changed /96 to /64, restarted radvd and gave my laptop in two
rounds 2001:41d0:1:678e:abcd::2/128 and 2001:41d0:1:678e:abcd::2/64 on
eth0, without any result. :(

> Also, you didn't answer this question:
>
> On May 5, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>> AdvRouterAddr off;
>
> Why is AdvRouterAddr off?
You're right of course, sorry.
I had a quick look in the manpage of radvd.conf and saw that
AdvRouterAddr is defaulting to off and just to be used in "Mobile IPv6"
setups which I don't have. Thus I thought disabling it might be a good idea.
However, just after the first question about it turned up on the ML, I
re-enabled it, just in case disabling it was wrong. :)

> Given the symptoms you're describing, my working theory is that
> Microsoft's autoconf implementation is synthesizing the default route
> using the source address of the RA message, and Linux is not.
Sorry for asking such a stupid question, but isn't this was RA is
actually meant to be used for? Or where does Linux get the router
address from?

> I suspect the Linux behavior is more compliant with the protocol spec,
> although I'm sure if this theory is correct that Microsoft had a good
> reason for doing what they did.
Or maybe not, based on the assumption that IPv6 is only to be used for
development and testing purposes in Windows.

Best regards,

Mihai Moldovan