Using class to match iPhones, Wiis etc

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Thu May 7 19:34:49 UTC 2009

Has anyone (probably in an academic environment!) done any work trying to
match the MAC addresses of iPhones/iPod Touch/Wiis in order to give them
different lease parameters?

I can grep logs for MAC prefixes and match them up with the IEEE OUI DB,
but I'm not likely to end up with a canonical list that way.

Our wireless infrastructure, mostly DHCP, is beginning to sag under the
weight of all the WiFi systems on campus and we're looking for mitigation
strategies that are quick to implement (vs architecture changes, that we
plan to do, but that will take time).

Peter

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY