DHCP failover problems - still

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu May 7 21:25:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:18:02PM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> This is a bug that I and several others have seen. I can reproduce it,
> and I have tried to give ISC enough info to reproduce it (offering the
> use of my lab if necessary). But so far no luck. See

Sorry I never got back to you Steiner, your last set of information
was complete enough that I could reproduce it trivially.

We have at least two bugs with failover reconnection attempts, of
which one has a fix comitted to maintenance branches (will be in
4.1.1-next, 4.0.2b1, etc), and the other is being reviewed for
inclusion.

Failover will claim a link has been disconnected if it is idle (no
received messages) for more than the configured max-response-delay
(default 20 seconds), or if the socket has been disconnected.  A
contact message is used at 1/3rd the max-response-delay to keep the
socket from going idle.