32.5M dhcpd.conf with 108000 classes is parsed for 40 minutes. Is this ok?

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri May 15 13:33:26 UTC 2009

Hi,

> subnet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 {

ouch. thats a 256 times worse than dealing with just 1
class A.

> But seriously, I remember previous posts where allocating whole class A
> or class B address spaces cause the hash table generators to go

a couple of class B's is no issue - i hear problems with dealing
with much larger numbers.

> Finally you have 38000 real IPs with a max lease time of 180 seconds.
> Typical clients renew approximately half way through, so you need
> enough grunt to handle around 400 requests per second.

180 second lease time is crazy. 3 minute leases?  thats a 90 second
refresh on RFC clients - is that sort of address recycling etc needed?
3600 (for an hour) is reasonable on most systems...eg even wifi hotspots
as clients are usually around for that average amount of time.

alan