implementing dhcpv6

Glen R. J. Neff neff_glen at emc.com
Wed Nov 4 14:23:22 UTC 2009

Miyone wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'm trying to configure dhcp for my ipv6 network. I have
> DHCP Server 4.1.1b3 installed. However my client can't get an ip from
> the pool.
>
> What do i need running in my system? I've read about router
> advertisement and dhclient. Do I need these two to make dhcp work? I'm
> confused. Hope someone can clear it up.

DHCPv6 can be in much the same way as you'd have used DHCP in a v4
environment, ie, use it to assign, an IP, subnet mask, default router,
DNS, domain info, etc.

DHCPv6 can also be used in concert with router
advertisements/solicitations to issue the configuration that "rtadvd"
cannot.

In my deployments thus far, I've been relying on "rtadvd" for client
addressing, prefix-length, & router information, and on DHCPv6 for DNS
server info, domain info, and to initiate a Dynamic-DNS registration on
my *nix clients.

-G

--
/*