Problem with lease time

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Thu Nov 5 18:06:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 04:09:02PM -0500, Denis Laventure wrote:
> I also noticed that when the servers are restarting after a config change, sometime, if I release/renew at the same time of the server restart, I get 86400. If I renew after that I return to 3600...

If the servers are not in normal state (in communications-interrupted
for example), they will give "TSFP-optimal" leases.  That is at best
TSFP+MCLT but not exceeding the desired lease time, and at worst
0+MCLT where TSFP is zero or in the past.

So if you are noticing different behaviour directly after a restart,
but not later on, your servers may be falling out of communication.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.