DHCP failover problems - still

Matt Causey matt.causey at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 20:02:16 UTC 2009

Hrm....crickets.  No ideas?

Digging more, I noticed that there was a large spike of dhcp requests/
acks at the beginning of one of the comms failures.  Looks like we saw
a period of 60 reqests/acks per second for a brief period.  Maybe 4-6
offers per second during that time.

 From the capture, I see that the secondary sends contacts and bind
updates to the primary.  I can see from a TCP perspective that those
frames are ACK'd.  This is good news as it means the network is
healthy.  But it seems that during this time, the primary dhcp daemon
isn't sending the acknowledgements for those contacts and bind updates.

Is it possible/plausible that the dhcp daemon could be 'too busy' at
65 xactions/second to respond to the failover messages?  I mean, mebbe
we are blocking on disk or CPU... But I've reviewed the performance
stats for these systems and they are not busy at all.  They're modern
whitebox servers, 8G RAM, quad core wirlygig with all the animal
options...

Thanks,

--
Matt