Using OMAPI to remove leases on isc DHCP

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Nov 27 13:24:20 UTC 2009

>From: "Zemke, Kai" <Kai.Zemke at smartnet.de>
>To: "dhcp-users at lists.isc.org" <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
>Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:02:00 +0100
>Subject: Using OMAPI to remove leases on isc DHCP
>acceptlanguage: de-DE
>
> Hi,
>
> we are using isc dhcp ver. 3.0.3 on SLES10. My question is, can active
> leases be deleted using omshell?
> I tried this an in tells me something like this:
>
> "can't destroy object: not implemented"
>
> will this feature be available in the near future? Or what is the best
> way to modify the running state of the isc dhcp server such as leases
> and so on?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Kai Zemke

You can't destroy a lease on the server, because the client may still
be using that IP address. I believe you must wait for the client to
release the lease, or for it to expire. Even then you can't delete it
using omshell.

omshell/omapi is the only way to dynamically modify te run time
environment, but that is typically to add host entries, change failover
state, or shutdown dhcpd. I don't think there's much else that can be
done.

There's been rumours and hints of alternate methods, but it seems none
have started development yet.

regards,
-glenn