DHCP client moving between networks

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Thu Oct 1 00:40:36 UTC 2009

    Sorry, I hit the wrong key and sent in a message pre-maturely.

> Everything works after I let the leases expire on the new interface,
> as when they sent the DHCPDISCOVER, they hit the new interface.  It
> was only when the server got the DHCPREQUEST for the old address that
> they got 172s.

    If the server acknowledged a requested address, it obviously thinks
it is valid for what-ever the gateway IP was (or what-ever interface
the request came in on. Probably the most common reason for that is the
improper use of a "shared-network" in your configuration. It is hard to
say for sure without seeing the config and what the server logged when
it saw the request.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
ITS, Networks and Systems		|