UPDATED: Serving addresses to multiple subnets

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 17:57:34 UTC 2009

John Tabasz (jtabasz) wrote:

>I'm sorry I neglected to include many important
>points in my query. More details here:
>
>The DHCP server is ISC 2.0.3 running on Solaris
>2.8 on a Sun V120. The DHCP server has a single
>live interface on the subnet 10.1.100.0/24.
>The router interface to which this subnet is
>connected is part of a 8 port switch module
>installed in a Cisco 3725 and has a secondary
>subnet defined as such:
>
>interface Vlan1
>
>  ip address 10.1.200.2 255.255.252.0 secondary
>  ip address 10.1.100.2 255.255.252.0
>  ip helper-address 10.1.100.23 ß------ This is
>the ip address of the dhcp server.
>  standby ip 10.1.100.1
>  standby ip 10.1.200.1 secondary
>  standby priority 240
>  standby preempt
>  standby track FastEthernet0/0

As Paine, Thomas Asa wrote yesterday, this is a
shared network and you simply declare it as such
and it will work automagically.

However, version 2 is ancient - really ancient
and has been unsupported for many years. From my
very vague memory of it, it doesn't support
shared networks. You really should consider an
upgrade.

From https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/history
"... Release 3.0, which had its alpha release in
March 1999 and its final release in January 2003."

Even 3.0 went end of life over a year ago.

--
Simon Hobson