Dynamic DNS via DHCP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 22:45:36 UTC 2009

Scott Rowley wrote:

>It looks like we've nearly got this working but we've got one last issue
>to sort out.  We have two nameservers that need updating.  Is it
>possible to have more than one primary or do we have to figure out some
>other trickery?  If its not possible does anyone have any suggestions on
>tricks to get it moved over to the second server ok?

You can only update one DNS server from DHCP. The way most people
deal with multiple DNS servers is to run one as a master for the
zone, and one or more as slaves - using the normal zone transfer
mechanisms.

It would be quite a difficult, and impractical, task for the DHCP
server to manage two separate updates - either of which could fail
and need re-trying. You could very easily end up with inconsistent
DNS servers.

--
Simon Hobson