DHCPDISCOVER coming in on server's native interface

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Thu Oct 29 18:47:10 UTC 2009

> Why would we be seeing these DISCOVERS coming in from eth0 instead of
> from the router's address?

    You would need to look at the incoming packets to see what they look
like to tell for sure. The obvious answer is "operator error"; that your
server broadcast domain was somehow extended to include a client host.

    As far as I can see, the server logs "via eth0" is there the GIADDR
field in the packet is not set. While this normally means the packet
was broadcast on the local network (assuming well-behaved clients) it
seems a unicast DISCOVER from elsewhere on the network would trigger
the same behaviour.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
ITS, Networks and Systems		|