Garbage collection?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Tue Sep 8 21:58:27 UTC 2009

Get this every hour:

Sep  8 16:02:21 $HOST dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Sep  8 16:02:21 $HOST dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Sep  8 16:02:21 $HOST dhcpd: Wrote 24118 leases to leases file.

 From watching the number of leases outstanding (using some perl script I
found somewhere), it appears that this is DHCPD going through and expiring
leases that it otherwise assumed were in use.  I.e., before the process
runs, the lease total is much higher than right after it runs.

I've looked at dhcpd(8), dhcpd.conf(5), and dhcpd.leases(5) and find
nothing relevant.

With the students back (all of whom apparently have iPhones!) we're getting
very close to the WiFi pool's max size.

While we work on a long-term fix for that, what can I do to get that
cleanup process to run more frequently so that we aren't as likely to run
out of addresses?

dhcp-3.0.1-10.2_EL3

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY