OMSHELL to Reload Host Config File or cpan Net::ISC::DHCPd::OMAPI Examples

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Sep 9 17:27:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 01:20:44PM -0300, Shawn Holland wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to just tell it to 'reload' from a
> config file.

unfortunately, no.

OMAPI gives you the ability to modify a running state (that is saved
to dhcpd.leases), but this means you have to maintain your own state
and feed the server 'changes' from one set of configs to the next.

if you are making config from an oft-refreshed file as a source, i'd
just recommend restarting dhcpd on a new config file rather than using
omapi to manage changes.  the brief time to restart the daemon will
pass unnoticed, whereas the omapi-managed method presents a lot of
moving parts and complex machinery that can just go wrong.

> If its not possible then any examples to list / update / delete / add
> host entries using cpan Net::ISC::DHCPd::OMAPI would be appreciated.
>
> If this isn't the right mailing list I apologize in advance.

you've go the right mailing list, but i don't have the answers there.