Two IPs on one NIC

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 08:07:33 UTC 2009

João Kuchnier wrote:

>Here in my company we are changing our LAN setup to DHCP. However, in
>some workstations, we are distributing static IP.
>
>One example of static IP:
>
>host eng001 {
>                 hardware ethernet 00:1E:4F:xx:xx:xx;
>                 fixed-address 192.168.0.57;
>         }
>
>On this PC I need to configure a second IP in a different subnet.
>Something like: 10.0.0.10.
>
>Does anybody knows how can I distribute two IPs to one workstation?

You can't for static assignments like that. If
you are handing out dynamic IPs then you could
(if the client supports it) configure the client
to make two requests with different client-ids to
get two addresses - but you'd need to do the
configuration yourself. But that would be more
work than just manually configuring it.

--
Simon Hobson