ISC and Cisco IPv6 relay

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 16 22:00:25 UTC 2009

If anyone has got ISC dhcpd -6 working using Cisco routers as ipv6 dhcp relays, I'd love to hear from you off list as I am having no success at all.

This turned out to be fairly trivial, but not obvious :(
I had not configured IPv6 global addresses on the inter-router links.  From the routing perspective, they didn't seem to be needed.  The routers were quite happy using the link-local addresses as the next-hop.  Unfortunately, the dhcp6 relay uses the outbound interfaces IPv6 address and needs it to be global so that the server can send the response to the right relay.