how to configure DHCP relay with ISC.

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at
Thu Apr 15 11:59:10 UTC 2010

On 04/15/10 17:11, Guo, Fei wrote:
> Hello All,
> can you give me an example about how to configure on the
> client/relay/server side, I have installed 4.1.1 version, a simple
> topology is the following:
> client ------------------------------------------ relay
> dhcp-users at

A fairly minimal example would be something like this.

client ---------------------- relay ---------------------- server

Relay configuration

The only important item to note is that you must listen on interfaces
where you expect to recieve dhcp requests *and* listen for packets from
the dhcp server. The default is to listen on all interfaces.

$ man dhcrelay

Server Configuration

Configure local and remote subnets identically. The server automatically
switches the incoming requests to the right subnet. The server must have
a configuration for the local subnet, even if it is not used for any
dhcp services.

$ man dhcpd.conf
# global settings for all subnets
option domain-name "";
option domain-name-servers;
subnet netmask {
subnet netmask {
	# settings just for this subnet
	option routers;

Other man pages worth reading are dhcpd, dhcp-options, dhcp-eval. In
total there would be close to 100 pages of documentation in the man
pages. Of course, if there are any other questions please feel free to
post them here,,,

Glenn Satchell                            |  Miss 9: What do you
Uniq Advances Pty Ltd, Sydney Australia   |  do at work Dad?
mailto:glenn.satchell at         |  Miss 6: He just tel:0409-458-580   |  types random stuff.