Same IP, multiple MAC addresses

Calum Hunter Calum.Hunter at cpasa.com.au
Mon Apr 19 14:16:31 UTC 2010

Hi There,

Have a situation where we are running 4.1.1 of the dhcpd server
we have a number of laptops that connect via Wireless and Ethernet.
We manage access to the network by using fixed host records in the dhcp server so each machine gets a specific ip address from the dhcp server.
What we would like is to be able to assign multiple MAC addresses ie wireless & ethernet to a host record and have the dhcp server assign a single IP address to that client no matter if it requests an ip using ethernet or wireless

something like

host laptop {
      hardware ethernet 00:11:25:D6:EE:91;
      hardware ethernet 00:14:85:2D:E0:2F;
      fixed-address 192.168.1.19;
 }

Is there anyway to do this or do i have to create a second record and assign a second ip address ie

host laptop_wired {
      hardware ethernet 00:11:25:D6:EE:91;
      fixed-address 192.168.1.19;
 }

host laptop_wireless {
      hardware ethernet 00:14:85:2D:E0:2F;
      fixed-address 192.168.1.20;
 }

I would really like to avoid the duplication of records and duplication of ip addresses needed to be reserved.

Alternatively I'm thinking what might be a better route to go down is to have a pool of addresses that are handed out to known clients, in this case is it possible to assign two MAC addresses to a host or do i still have to create a wireless and wired host record per client machine?

Cheers,

Calum Hunter
Senior Apple Systems Engineer
ACSA, ACTC, ACMT