bind updates

Dean, Barry B.Dean at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 09:36:03 UTC 2010

I have a DHCP failover pair and in the 24 hour period from 3am Apr 25 to 3am Apr 26 I saw 9583 errors of the form:

Apr 26 03:06:47 secondary dhcpd: [ID 702911 daemon.error] bind update on 192.168.0.1 from dhcp rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing update

from the secondary on the pair. But in the same time period the primary in the pair saw 3 of these errors.

This is after I changed the config to increase "load balance max seconds" from 3 seconds to 5.

As an aside, the 3 errors on the primary did not occur at that same time as corresponding errors for the same IP on the secondary.

Anyone got any ideas?

How high could I set "load balance max seconds" before breaking something?

Exactly what is it that is taking more than 5 seconds to complete? Seems like an awful long time to do something to me!

Thanks

Barry Dean
Principal Programmer/Analyst
Networks Group
Computing Services Department
Skype: barryvdean
---
Nice boy, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.
               -- Foghorn Leghorn