DLPI issues prevent dhcpd 4.2.0 start in Solaris 10 05/09 exclusive IP zone

Malcolm Herbert lists.isc.org at mjch.net
Wed Aug 11 06:09:07 UTC 2010

I'm trying to put together a Solaris 10 05/09 exclusive-IP zone to run
dhcpd and bind for our testing lab networks, however I am having issues
starting dhcpd.

In this case, the ce1 interface has been handed to the zone as have
various vlan-tagged interfaces as can be seen in the zone config below:

|create -b
|set zonepath=/zones/vte-mgmt
|set autoboot=true
|set limitpriv=default,net_rawaccess
|set ip-type=exclusive
|add net
|set physical=ce1
|end
|add net
|set physical=ce502001
|end
:
:
|add device
|set match=/dev/ce1
|end
|add device
|set match=/dev/ce502001
|end
:
:

(other posts I've found on the net recommended adding the limitpriv and
device matching bits, but they don't seem to have helped in this case)

my dhcpd.conf is relatively simple - just one network to serve at this
point:

|option domain-name "example.com";
|option domain-name-servers ns0.example.com, ns1.example.com;
|
|default-lease-time 7200;
|max-lease-time 7200;
|
|ddns-update-style interim;
|update-static-leases on;
|
|authoritative;
|
|log-facility local7;
|
|subnet 10.40.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { }
|
|subnet 10.40.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
|  range dynamic-bootp 10.40.2.10 10.40.2.249;
|  option broadcast-address 10.40.2.255;
|  option routers 10.40.2.254;
|}
:
:

When I start dhcpd however I get the following result:

|# /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd ce1 ce502001
|Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.0
|Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
|All rights reserved.
|For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
|Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
|Can't open DLPI device for ce502001: No such file or directory
:
:

As in other posts, I've confirmed that the /dev/ce* devices are present
within the zone, and they appear to be:

|# ls -al /dev/ce*
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  3 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce1
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  4 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce502001
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  5 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce503001
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  6 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce504001
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  7 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce505001
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  8 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce506001
|crw-------   1 root     sys      130,  9 Aug 11 15:30 /dev/ce507001

I've also confirmed that the same behaviour when using pfexec to
explicitly add the net_rawaccess privilege ...

I also don't think this is related to whether the interface has vlan tag
or not - attempting to run it on ce1 only gives the same result ...

... beyond that I'm a little at a loss ... what do I need to do to get
dhcpd working in this configuration (short of recompiling it)?

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch at mjch.net                                                left blank