DHCP Redundancy

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 11:44:13 UTC 2010

Alex Bligh wrote:

>>>I just need a stupid dhcp server that can works from a database
>>>table for lease information. I have spent the last few days coming
>>>up with nothing. I am shocked one doesn't exist. It could even work
>>>from a flat file, it just needs to reread the flat file every time
>>>before handing out a new address to ensure its actually available.
>>
>>It doesn't exist because is would be very low performance and would have
>>a very limited market.
>
>Actually, it does exist. See my patch set:
>  http://blog.alex.org.uk/2010/09/05/adding-sql-support-to-isc-dhcpd/
>
>However, this isn't to put the leases table in a database.

So it doesn't exist then - the question was to have the LEASES in a database.

Granted it could help in managing "changeable static assignments" but
he'd still have the problems of replicating the database out whenever
changes are done - not hard, but still not trivial when the network
is unreliable.
--
Simon Hobson