DHCP Redundancy

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 14:17:13 UTC 2010

Fixing top posting and trimming redundant text ...

Nathan McDavit-Van Fleet wrote:
>But aren't they all connected to the same root gateway? A single DHCP server
>should be able to serve that easily. If you have multiple subnets you just
>need to have IP Helper to forward all the DHCP requests to your server. IMHO
>two failed-over servers can service thousands of users without much issue.

Have you been following the thread at all ?

Yes, *WE* all know that, but the OP isn't happy about not having a
DHCP server at each node in an unreliable network (sounds like a
community access project). I made exactly the same point in my last
email - if the clients can't reach the internet gateway, then it is
important if they can't reach the DHCP server co-located there ?

It also sounds like it's not an issue if clients change address, in
which case it would be trivial to have multiple (non-failover)
servers offering up non-overlapping ranges in the same subnet (I
think he has a flat network acorss these sites).

--
Simon Hobson