Assigning IP Address Using Option 82 in one Subnet

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Fri Dec 10 18:08:28 UTC 2010

> "Relay agents are NOT required to monitor or modify client-originated
> DHCP packets addressed to a server unicast address. This includes the
> DHCP-REQUEST sent when entering the RENEWING state."

> DHCPDISCOVER from XX:XX:XX:68:6b:7f via eth0.2: network XXXXXX-Net: no
> free leases
> DHCPDISCOVER from XX:XX:XX:68:6b:7f via 10.100.1.5

In the piece of RFC you're quoting the key word is unicast.  I believe
it is quite normal behavior for relay agents to leave unicast packets
between the client and server unmodified. However, I think that you are
getting the DHCPDISCOVER both as the original broadcast from the client
and as a unicast from the relay agent.  I don't believe that's normal.
Or maybe it is normal for other products, but at least the relay agents
I use here which are Motorola wireless APs are not behaving that way.