Using the private DHCP 224 to 254 for DHClient

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Dec 17 12:32:18 UTC 2010

On 12/17/10 22:02, Debanjan Biswas (debiswas) wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> How do I make sure that Dhclient include the private dhcp options 224 to
> the DHCP server in the DHCP discovery request?
>
> I am using DHClient version 3.0.5.
>
> Thanking you in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> Debanjan

Have a look at the dhclient.conf man page. You probably want "also
request" or "send".

"also request" asks the server to send back the named options in the
response. For example domain-name-servers.

"send" is used to send an option to the server, such as the hostname.

The dhcp-options man page lists all the standard options. See the
section "DEFINING NEW OPTIONS" for the syntax to define the options you
are interested in. You need to specify the type so that dhclient can
decode them appropriately (eg whether they are a text string, integer,
IP address, etc. You need matching option definitions on the dhcp server.

-glenn