full socket buffers

Miroslav Lauš mirek.laus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 07:32:39 UTC 2010

On Dec 18, 2010, at 10:53 PM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>>> We're also running 4.1.1p1, on FreeBSD 7.3-STABLE. Server hardware is
>>> Dell PE 1850, with two SCSI disks in a RAID-1 configuration. We have
>>> around 100k leases on two servers in a failover pair, with most of the
>>> pools on 24 hour leasetime. We don't see the problem you're seeing.
>>
>> We're running the dhcpd service on two IBM x3550 servers in failover,
>> both have two 74GB 15k disks in RAID-1 so very similar to yours.
>
> How many DISCOVERs and REQUESTs do you handle per second? Do you have
> battery backed cache for your RAID-1 config? Have you tried gstat, and
> looked at the %busy column?
>
> An additional point which might be relevant - we run our failover
> configuration with a "delayed-ack 28" setting. This cuts down on the
> failover traffic (including disk I/O). Yes, we know there have been
> some warnings about delayed-ack - however it has never given us any
> problems. Note that it needs to be explicitly compiled in.

See DISCOVER/REQUEST ratio in attached RRD graph. I've also attached
the udpInErrors graph which is currently in normal (very few dropped udp
packets due to full socket buffer) and I'm now waiting for it to increase.

I'm not sure about the battery cache of the RAID, but the gstat never goes
higher than 25% busy. If we were disk i/o bound wouldn't the issue persist
all the time? I will check the delayed-ack as we have anyway selfcompiled
the dhcpd package with DHCPRELEASE mechanism disabled as it caused us a lot
of trouble in conjuction with dhcpsnooping mechanism on L2 switches.

Would putting the leasefile on RAM disk help a bit?

-ml