DHCP Relay serving clients on the same network as a DHCP server‏

Miroslav Mzik mmzik at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:44:14 UTC 2010

Dear dhcp-users list members,

I am turning to you with a question regarding ISC DHCP Relay functionality. The man page for dhcrelay says:

In general, it must listen not only on those network interfaces to which clients are attached, but also on those network interfaces to which the server (or the router that reaches the server) is attached.

The relay agent should not relay packets received on a physical network to DHCP servers on the same physical network - if they do, the server will receive duplicate packets. In order to fix this, however, the relay agent needs to be able to learn about the network topology, which requires that it have a configuration file.

I am facing the above mentioned problem - the DHCP Relay processes packets coming from clients located on the same physical network as my DHCP server and thus the server receives duplicate packets. Is there a solution to this problem? I cannot find any documentation for /etc/sysconfig/dhcrelay file directives which might help solving this issue.

Thank you.

Miroslav Mzik