dhcpd on Solaris 10

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Feb 17 01:17:05 UTC 2010

Ok, that environment is a little different to mine then :)

Here are my build definitions:

VER=4.1.1
CFLAGS='-O -D_PATH_DHCPD_CONF=\"/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf\"' \
     ./configure \
     --prefix=/usr/local/pkgs/$VER \
     --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc \
     --mandir=/usr/local/pkgs/$VER/man \
     --localstatedir=/var \
     --with-srv-lease-file=/var/dhcp/dhcpd.leases \
     --with-srv6-lease-file=/var/dhcp/dhcpd6.leases \
     --with-cli-lease-file=/var/dhcp/dhclient.leases \
     --with-cli6-lease-file=/var/dhcp/dhclient6.leases

so, no USE_SOCKETS or anything else very fancy.

My personal experience was that no version 4.x server before 4.1.0b1
would work on Solaris 10 due to the DLPI bug.

The RELNOTES file for 4.2.0a1 bundles all the changes since 4.1.0 into
one section, so it's not clear which fixes were in 4.1.1, and which were
fixed after 4.1.1, or indeed if there were more fixes for the same
problem both in 4.1.1 and after that release. So it's a bit hard to know
what particular change may have changed the behaviour you see. I guess
Opensolaris is a bit of a moving target, and lots of different ways to
configure virtual machines and networking. The user community can help
here by reporting, as you have done, things that do and don't work in
the alpha releases.

regards,
-glenn