Bind DHCP to a specific ip

Tim Peiffer peiffer at UMN.EDU
Sun Jan 3 22:00:42 UTC 2010

Chris Arnold wrote:
> Simon Hobson wrote:
>

>> No, it doesn't go in the dhcpd config file, it goes on the command
>> line that invokes dhcpd. There will almost certainly be a system
>> specific config file where the list of interfaces can be specified.
>> Failing that, you have to edit the script that starts dhcpd.
>>
> You guys were right, there is a file to define the interface. On SLES10 SP3 it is found in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd. It was already defined in that file but still shows as 0.0.0.0:67 in netstat. Is that the way it was designed?
>
> I can get netstat to show the ip:67 by entering local-address "ipaddress" in the dhcpd.conf file.

Chris,

This list covers ISC DHCP, and not individual implementations.

Considering you are working with SLES10, maybe consult the SLES
documentation?  There is a YaST wizard that will help guide you through
all that.

Ref:
<http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/suse_linux_guides/SLES10/suse_enterprise_linux_server_installation_admin/index.html>
->
<http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/suse_linux_guides/SLES10/suse_enterprise_linux_server_installation_admin/sec_dhcp_yast.html>

Failing that, the installed /etc/init.d/dhcpd provides a start()
function that starts up dhcpd.  In the example below, the init script
defines a variable that
is set from /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd.  So if the interface you wish to use
is eth10, then create a single line in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd that says:

DHCPDARGS=eth10

    start() {
            # Start daemons.
            echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
            daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd ${DHCPDARGS} 2>/dev/null

Regards,
--
Tim Peiffer
Network Support Engineer