[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 20:40:18 UTC 2010

James Dinkel wrote:

>Oops, if this is accurate:
>http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/wins/winsinfo/index.xml.ID=Browsing
>It looks like you will still not be able to browse computers across
>subnets even with WINS.  But as I said, I personally would prefer to
>not have that functionality anyway.  And since WINS is a deprecated
>technology, that's further motivation to just stick with DNS.

Odd. At my last job I had exactly the setup Jonathan mentions, and it
"just worked" - you opened your browser and there were the workgroups
for the other sites. OK it was slow as we only had 64k links, but it
worked exactly the same as for just the local site.

Now I've not been involved in that side of networking for a few
years, so I'm not too familiar with AD etc. However, as I understand
it, in an AD setup, as machines connect to the network, they will
populate the DNS and other machines can find them via that - ie they
don't rely on broadcasts to find other machines. But I could be wrong
there.

--
Simon Hobson