dynamic update not working consistently

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 00:53:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
>
>> How can we debug this further?
>
> I would look I the leases file and see what's in there. For a working
> client, you should see statements relating to the DNS, if they also exist
> for the non working client then that would indicate the server thinks it has
> previously done the updates.

Yeah, we did check that.  Here's what the notworking lease looks like:

lease 10.10.99.135 {
  starts 3 2010/01/06 19:49:46;
  ends 1 2010/01/11 19:49:46;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 00:13:d3:15:d2:4d;
  uid "\001\000\023\323\025\322M";
  set X-vendor-class = "MSFT 5.0";
  client-hostname "notworking";
}

The working ones have the set ddns-rev-name, ddns-txt, and
ddns-fwd-name in their leases.

> Also check that there are no conflicting records in the DNS - though that
> should cause an error to appear in the logs.
> --

Yeah, no records at all for the notworking host.  Does the actual
subnet declaration make a difference in how dynamic dns behaves?

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in