[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 7 15:47:39 UTC 2010

Glen R. J. Neff wrote:
> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>>> DNS can work for Active Directory I believe, but what if the users want
>>> to use or want their "Network Neighborhood" stuff to work?
>>> Sadly, I don't believe this uses DNS.
>> That uses WINS, and WINS can handle multiple subnets. I'm doing that
>> with samba based servers and different subnets in different physical
>> locations. Works. Windows simply browses. It will help if DNS is
>> setup correctly though.
>
> WINS is as obsolete as NT4.  Active Directory relies on Dynamic-DNS,
> especially for clients on a different subnet than the resources
> they're trying to reach.
>
> Bind works swimmingly with AD.  You need to allow the zone to update
> via IP or subnet.  At a minimum you need to include the domain
> controllers and your DHCP server, if you want it doing the
> registration.  If you want to allow all clients to self-register, then
> you need to allow the subnets the clients are on.
>
> -G

Agreed. But the OP may well be in the same situation i am. Mixed
environment, no wish to spend lots of $$ on M$ environment and
management, and small company. I do not know whether many small
companies have AD implemented and active. I do know i have no wish to
a/ spent the money on AD
b/ the management hassle of maintaining it.

I do admit i am not a MS systems manager, and have no wish to become
one... Runing WINS gave me the features needed on my networks, even
visitors have the features they need, no matter whether they are running
w2k, XP, vista or W7.

R. (from a network which is free of windows servers)