Sending different values for the same option to different classes of hardware within the same pool

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Jan 11 05:50:48 UTC 2010

It's a little more complex than that. The OP said he has different
types of hardware, and for each hardware type he needs a different
setting based on the subnet.

So classes can provide tha basic hardware differentiation. Within each
subnet you could do a few different ways. One would be to have a
separate pool for each hardware class. In that pool you could put the
specific settings. Something like this:

class "vendor1" {
	match if option .... ;
}
class "vendor2 {
	match if option .... ;
}

subnet 192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	option router ... ;
	pool {
		allow members of "vendor1";
		range 192.168.10.100 19.168.10.149;
		next-server 192.168.10.1;
	}
	pool {
		allow members of "vendor2";
		range 192.168.10.150 192.168.10.199;
		next-server 192.168.10.2;

and so on. Make the size of each range big enough to allow for the expected
numbers of each vendor type.

Another way would be to use a if/else arrangement in each subnet

subnet 	192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	option router ... ;
	if option .... = "vendor1" {
		next-server 192.168.10.1;
	} elsif option ... = "vendor2" {
		next-server 192.168.10.2;
	}
	pool {
		range 192.168.10.100 19.168.10.199;

I hope that gives you some ideas to work with. Neither is terribly
convenient if you have a lot of different hardware types and subnets.

class, match are covered in the dhcpd.conf man page; options are in the
dhcp-options man page; and if/elsif are in the dhcp-eval man page.

regards,
-glenn

>From: Chris Buxton <chris.p.buxton at gmail.com>
>Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:29:17 -0500
>
>Use classes to identify your different types of hardware. Then you should be
able to use pools inside each subnet, along with allow/deny, to differentiate
based on class.