dhcpd: failover peer pool-name: address not available

Bjarne Blichfeldt Bjarne.Blichfeldt at bec.dk
Thu Jan 21 05:47:50 UTC 2010

Running dhcp on RHEL 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5

dhcpd 3.0.7 ( not from distribution )

After a seemingly minor upgrade to our RHEL linux server last Saturday, I see  the following message in dhcpd log every 90 seconds :
dhcpd: failover peer pool-name: address not available

Since we don't update both servers at the same time, only  the primary server was updated. There are no messages on the failover server.

I thought the above message meant, that an address pool was missing from one of the servers, but the configuration files are identical on the two servers  - except for partner addresses of course.

Can anybody shed some light as to what the message means and where I should look ?

Regards,
Bjarne Blichfeldt