how to force new leases (not renewals)

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Jan 25 23:12:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:35:57PM +0100, Len Conrad wrote:
> We have what must be common situation: we want to change the IPs of
> the recursive DNS in our DHCPACK answers, and have done so, but
> Windows dhcp clients ask for renewals (keeping the old DNS IPs).

On renew, the client should pick up changes in DHCP options including
the domain-name-servers option.

> Is there anything we can do, at least temporarily, in dhcpd to force
> new leases rather than renewals?

You can contrive a configuration that would force a client's IP
address to change, but that would be non-conforming behavior in the
spirit of the DHCP RFCs.  It would involve making a new pool, denying
the clients access to the old pool and allowing them in the new pool
only.